Saturday, December 20, 2008

Hanukkah is almost here...

Well, Hanukkah starts tomorrow night, and I am so excited! It is my first ever Hanukkah. And my kids first! Mikaela (6) is excited, although at first she didn't understand. She is still a littlel confused about it. I bought them a movie about the Macabees, so they could see the story and understand why it was first celebrated, and they love it. Everytime we put it on she asks, "Did this really happen? REALLY?" Like she's not so sure it really did...I assure her it did, but she still looks a little skeptical. She tells everyone about Hanukkah. Eli (3) talks about Hanukkah, but he really doesn't understand that it's a holiday!

I have my menorah - I bought 2 long glass tea light holders, which each hold 4 tea lights, and a candle holder that holds a tall taper, and put the taper holder in the middle of the 2 long holders (from WalMart). I have blue tea lights and white tapers. It looks really pretty. I also hot glued blue and silver ribbons and bows to vanilla scented candles for decorations and gifts. I got creative, and it was fun. I didn't realize how creative I was...haha.

I have dinner planned and almost each night different family members coming over to eat and light the candles. It's going to be fun seeing everyone, and I'm glad they decided to participate with me at least one night during Hanukkah. It means alot when your family supports you, although not always understand or agree with you. I am going to publish the meaning of the candle each day.

Servant candle - middle candle lit every night and used to light the other candles.
Messiah Yeshua stated in Mark 10:44-45 "Whoever wishes to be first among you shall be servant to all. For even the Son of Man didn't come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

What a great example Jesus gave to us all, it's about serving others and being unselfish. Sometimes we think we deserve recognition, praise, and honor. But we should humble ourselves and become obedient, just like our Messiah Yeshua. We should serve others before ourselves, and never because we want others to notice, but because we want our Savior to notice and be pleased with us.

No comments: