Saturday, December 13, 2008

Put His Words on a Headbead around Your Forehead

Deuteronomy 6:6-9 (Complete Jewish Bible)
"These words, which I am ordering you today, are to be on your heart; and you are to teach them carefully to your children. You are to talk about them when you sit at home, when you are traveling on the road, when you lie down and get up. Tie them on your hand as a sign, put them at the front of a headband around your forehead, and write them on the door frames of your house and your gates."

God is speaking of the commands he gave the Isrealites and actually all the people who choose to follow him. We are all 'Isrealites', you know, but that's another post!

Are his words on our heart? Not just in our heads, but on our hearts. We should be in love with His words. They should be held as precious treasures on our hearts.

Do we teach them CAREFULLY to our children? We should teach them carefully, and make sure they understand the signifigance and importance of God's words. We should carefully make sure they aren't perverted.

How often do we talk about them? At church? To our pastor or church friends? Or do we tak about them at home, when we're traveling or running errands, before we go to bed and as soon as we wake up? It's so important to keep the words of God alive and active in our homes.

Would we put them on a headband around our foreheads? Who cares if it's fashionable or not! We should make sure that everyone who meets us or comes to our homes know that we love God and his commands.

Oh God, forgive me for not loving your commands as I should. Press them on my heart, on my forehead, on my doors and windows. Help me to teach my children the right way. Help me show them that I love your words. I want your name to be the last thing on my lips at night and the first thing I speak in the morning. I love you God.

1 comment:

Beth Herring said...

We need to be willing to shout it from the mountaintops! We should be able to show people God's love even without words. Write it on our foreheads indeed. Praise you Lord for helping me to instill You in my children and that they are doing the same for their own.

Your sweet mama indeed