Wednesday, December 10, 2008

We're Just Temporary Residents...

1 Peter 2:11 (God's Word Translation)
"Dear Friends, since you are foreigners and temporary residents in the world, I'm encouraging you to keep away from the desires of your corrupt nature. These desires constantly attack you."

What a simple but convicting truth Peter spoke. We are just temporary residents here on earth. Our purpose is to please God, praise God, and spread the Good News of Jesus Christ to as many people as we can. Too often, I forget my purpose, and I lean toward those desires of my corrupt nature. I don't necessarily think that all our 'desires' are corrupt as we would think of the word. But I believe 'corrupt' here just means contrary to God's perfect desires for us. Any desire we have that's not in line with God's perfect will for our lives. And let me tell you from experience, when you are battling with corrupt desires, the devil will constantly attack you with them! It's so important to be bathed in prayer daily, to be alert to the enemy's schemes, and to stand firm. And always remember, we're don't belong to this old world. We belong to God, and He'll be taking us Home one day!

2 comments:

Beth Herring said...

Wise and wonderful advice. Although we live in this world, we don't have to become Like this world. We as Christians and as your blog title says, are 'set apart'. Praise God for that! I love you sweet daughter.

Oneblessedmawmaw said...

Meg, you are wise beyond your years and its because you've allowed God to be your Pilot. You never cease to amaze me and true as your blog says, we are just passing thru this world. I've been homesick for my eternal home a long time and I'm grateful to God that this world has'nt consumed me. What an awesome God we serve that loves us enough to die for us so that we may have eternal life. I love you Meg. Risa