Monday, January 19, 2009

God sent Himself

Last night at church, I took Mercie into the nursery because she was getting fussy. When I walked in, Ms. Billie was reading a book to about 5 kids. At the end of the book, she asked them, "Who died for our sins?" All of the kids said, in unison, "God!" And then she made this profound statement that really hit me. "God sent Himself to die for us, in the person of Jesus Christ."

Now, I knew that. I knew God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one, yet are three distinct persons. But I always, like everyone else, say "God sent His Son Jesus to die for us." And that's true. But to hear her say God sent Himself in the person of Jesus, I almost teared up. Can you imagine? He sent Himself, in the form of His Son. I am going to start saying that, because I think it's so important for our children to realize that God Himself died for us.

1 comment:

Beth Herring said...

Wow, funny how we know things, but then they just kind hit us with a little reality! I will be pondering on this tonight...

Love you,
Beth