Monday, January 5, 2009

Meaningful Mondays for Moms

Ephesians 4:29

"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."


I usually think of "corrupt word" being curse words or vulgur words. I looked up 'corrupt' in the dictionary and one of the definitions was 'putrid'. I looked up 'putrid' and it said "rotten or decaying; very unpleasant".


Hmmm...as a mother to young children, I ask myself, do I speak corruptly to my children? When they make a huge mess, when they disobey, when they break something, do I speak rotten words to them? Am I unpleasant? Do I tend to lose my patience?


The answer, ashamed as I am, is yes. Not all the time, but more often than not, I lose my temper. I say things to them that don't lift their spirits and edify them. By the way, I looked up 'edify' and it said "to instruct or improve morally". Am I improving my kids morally by the words that proceed out of my mouth? I sit here, ashamed and embarassed before God. The beautiful children He has blessed and entrusted me with should not be spoken to rottenly. As I ask His forgiveness, I also ask for His help.


We need to watch our words, our attitudes, our pleasantness. Our children observe everything we do and say, and everything we don't say. Although we do need to discipline when necessary, we also need to disciple on a more consistant, daily basis. We need to lift up our children, encourage them, and improve them morally! (I just love that definition!!)


I am putting off all rottenness, decay, corruption. Whoo, do I feel better!

2 comments:

Beth Herring said...

oh, yes. I pray that I was more of an edifier than not when my girls were little.

Pursuing Him,
Beth

Oneblessedmawmaw said...

Oh Megan, this really hit home with me as well. Over-whelmed sometimes by life's circumstances we tend to say or act in ways that are unpleasant (perfectly worded). I have had to repent of my actions when at times i acted more unpleasant than not to everyone, not just my children. I never thought about it nor realized that in the eyes of others i was very much not uplifting but more of a drag to be around or even listen to. Your blog was very eye-opening to me. Even though my kids still tell me i was a good Momma and a sweet Momma, I know that i could have been better. Thank God for unconditional love !!! I love you Megs, Your a blessing from God to me and our family. Thank you for your love and for the wonderful relationship we have. I'll always be here for you. Your a wonderful mother and wife and the greatest daughter-in-law ever !!! Risa